Maria Montessori believed young children have a deep sense of dignity and want to do the right thing. You can use Montessori techniques to teach your child how to do the right thing.
Here are some Montessori principles you can use at home to teach manners.
- Emphasize practical life activities to help your child develop order, concentration, control, and independence.
- Teach a specific manners lesson by demonstrating the proper behavior, breaking down the lesson into distinct steps.
- Give your child opportunities to practice the manners lesson.
- When your child greets an adult with the proper etiquette technique, be very specific in your praise.
- Avoid criticizing your child or embarrassing your child in public if he or she doesn’t have the maturity or necessary repetition to perform the etiquette technique properly.
- If you see that your child has difficulty performing an etiquette technique consistently and needs more practice, review the lesson at a later time.
Read the entire post from LivingMontessoriNow.com.